In the supply chain management world, pick & pack is a vital step of the process, ensuring that the distribution of goods (often retail) is completed efficiently. It involves disassembling an amount of goods, selecting (picking) the relevant product for each onwards destination and repacking it with the relevant shipping and financial documentation.
With the latest version of SAP Business One, Blue Ocean Systems was delighted to see many enhancements to the already effective tool for our customers providing supply chain management solutions.
The major differences between SAP V 9.0 and SAP V9.1 are summarised below:
|Users can now also process production orders and inventory transfer requests||Users could only process sales orders and reserve invoices|
|Users can now also create inventory transfer and issue for production||Users could only create delivery and invoice from the Pick and Pack Manager|
|Users can now create documents in the Pick and Pack Manager for non-inventory items||Users could not create documents in the Pick and Pack Manager for non-inventory items|
|Users can now also split pick list by business partner, document data and item data||Users could split pick list by warehouse and bin location|
What are the major features?
Pick and Pack in SAP Business One automates the processing of sales orders and A/R reserve invoices from the creation of pick lists to packing items for shipment with delivery documents.
The Pick and Pack process includes:
- a) Creating a pick list from open sales orders and/or A/R reserve invoices
- b) Picking items according to a pick list
- c) Packing items for shipment and
- d) Creating delivery and A/R invoice documents
The enhancements introduced in SAP Business One Version 9.1 enable users to process production orders and inventory transfer requests in the Pick and Pack manageras well as create documents for non-inventory items. It is also possible to create and view pick lists directly from production orders and inventory transfers.
In addition, inventory transfer, inventory transfer request and production order documents can be createdin the Pick and Pack manager based on different document types.
Last but not least, it is now also possible to split pick list by different parameters including business partner, document type, document, item group and item.
What are main changes to the pick and pack manager?
- New selection criteria options:
- Selection criteria window now includes the production orders and inventory transfer requests. You can choose one or more of the relevant document types to be included in the Pick and Pack Manager.
- Option to choose additional filtering options and enter From and To values for each choice.
- Option to choose a user defined field (UDF) as a filter.
- New columns in the Pick and Pack Manager drawers:
- Two new information columns have been added to the Open/ Released/ Picked drawers:
To Warehouse à for Inventory Transfer documents
Issue Method à for Production order documents
- New pick list split options:
- Several new options for splitting pick lists to provide additional flexibility in pick list generation.
- Split pick lists by business partner, document type, specific document, item group and item.
- New document creation options:
- New options are available from the Create button:
- Inventory Transfer Request
- Item/ Component Transfer
- Inventory Transfer
- Issue for Production
What are the business benefits of the changes to pick and pack?
- a) Using pick lists to collect goods for production and inventory transfer, improving efficiencies throughout the supply process
- b) Creating inventory transfers and issue for production for a batch of documents saves time in a tightly restricted process
- c) Ability to create pick lists instantly for a specific document creates more streamlined and accurate process
Blue Ocean Systems can help you better understand how these enhancements can benefit your organisation – contact our team of ERP experts today!