Last week we posted about the past year for Blue Ocean Systems and our clients; in this second part of the BOS Zeitgeist post we look at why 2015 was a challenging year for many SMEs within Asia, including Singapore, and how we work with local SMEs to overcome these challenges.
Countries are becoming increasingly aware of the importance of SMEs for boosting and sustaining their economic growth. And with good reason…
- SMEs comprise 98% of all enterprises in Asia-Pacific
- SMEs employ 66% of the national labour force
- SMEs contribute 38% of GDP
- SMEs account for 30% of all export value between 2007-2012
- Fewer opportunities to take part in large contract discussions due to access, policies and laws
- High vulnerability to unfair trade practices with fewer regulations
- Limited access to technology due to cost
- Difficulty in hiring and retaining a skilled workforce due to labour and skills shortages as well as strict labour laws
Here at Blue Ocean Systems we work with SMEs to help them grow their business so they can become an eligible contributor to the economy and enjoy their share of the success. We do this by supporting them to improve their business processes, become an employer of choice by leveraging industry-leading technology, and become as efficiently run as possible.
How has Blue Ocean Systems helped SMEs in 2015?
We created and shared relevant content for SMEs
The Blue Ocean Systems team creates a weekly SME-targeted blog that features tips, advice, strategies and information on how business improvements can be made to ensure future growth and sustainability. We’ll do a full round of the blogs from 2015 in next week’s post (the last one of the year!) but here are some of the most popular posts:
- 5 challenges SMEs face in Singapore
- Pervasive analytics: the crystal ball for enterprises
- The smaller the better for efficiency within SMEs?
- What’s going wrong with your KPIs?
- Making bold business decisions starts with selecting your ERP
We ensured our Partner Quality Accreditation
In 2015 Blue Ocean Systems was accredited for a global partner quality program. This certificate was awarded by the SAP Partner Service Delivery organisation to Blue Ocean Systems for our demonstration of clear quality standards and processes and in recognition of quality, risk and project management framework improvements in alignment with quality principles from SAP.
We know that SAP Business One version SAP HANA is the best solution for small businesses and we are honoured to have been recognised for delivering quality implementations and software support services to our clients throughout Asia-Pacific.
We learnt lots too!
We are strong advocates of lifelong learning and strive to embed this into our organisation so we can help our customers in the best way possible.
This year, the Blue Ocean Systems team completed over 1000 hours of training and certifications.
This year, the team has participated in a variety of courses including:
- Open SAP- Introduction to SAP HANA
- Introduction to Software Development on SAP HANA
- openHPI > Web Technologies
- openSAP > Creating Business Value with User Experience
- openSAP > Next Steps in SAP HANA Cloud Platform
- openSAP > SAP S/4HANA – Deep Dive
- mooc.house > Design for Non-Designers
- SAP Partneredge > SAP Partner Quality Program Web Assessment
With this training (and the many others completed) we can better equip ourselves to understand the evolving needs and pain points of our customers and work with them to build and grow their business.
Empowering the local workforce
This year, Blue Ocean Systems worked with local education provider Lithan Hall Academy to offer SMEs the opportunity to expand their knowledge and skills with SAP Business One version SAP HANA.
The 6-week courses covered the complete ERP functions and processes of SAP Business One in detail, including specific features of the SAP version for HANA as well as the special analytics tools.
The courses were well attended and we look forward to providing more great content in 2016.
Special BOS achievements
We are proud of our team at Blue Ocean Systems and 2015 provided plenty of opportunity for that pride to grow…
In March, we attended the APJ SAP Business One Innovation Summit and were given the opportunity to present our Customer Self Service Portal that helps our customers provide their customers with the most streamlined services possible.
In June, our very own Jacob Tan was announced as one of three winners from over 1500 submissions to the SAP Fiori Design and Build Challenge as part of the openSAP course, Build Your Own SAP Fiori App in the Cloud.
In October, Nagarajan Kothandaraman was listed as a top contributor – diamond level – in the SAP Community Network, an online forum that was set up for SAP users to interact, learn and exchange best practice. Learn more.
Wow, I think you’ll agree we’ve certainly had an eventful year full of successes and achievements!
We look forward to working with our customers in 2016 to create even more value amongst Singapore SMEs.